Facilities & Equipment
Housed in Canada’s only dedicated teaching complex for film and theatre, the Department of Cinema and Media Arts presides over state-of-the-art facilities. Whether watching films with high definition Christie projection, shooting their own productions in Red One Digital Cinema or Super 16mm, or mastering to HDCAM, our students achieve professional results, even while learning that what counts is content. With five full-time staff, our studios are being continuously upgraded to meet the always changing professional standards of our field.
Screening and Classrooms
We have four small (under 25) screening/classrooms in the Centre for Film & Theatre, outfitted with HD projection and superb sound.
Three larger screening classrooms range from 80 to 500 seats, and showcase state of the art Christie HD projection.
Production studio/classroom facilities include a traditional 2000 square foot soundstage, and two 1000 square foot classrooms with full lighting grids.
The Department of Cinema & Media Arts has a full range of film, Digital Cinema and HD production equipment to support both our undergraduate and graduate student productions.
- Red One MX with sets of: Red Pro Prime Lenses T1.8 (25, 35, 50, 85, 100 mm), Zeiss Compact Primes T 2.1 (18, 28, 50, 85, 100 mm) and Red Zoom T 3 (18 – 50 mm).
- Panasonic AG-HVX200, AG-HPX170
- Panasonic AF100 with Olympus Zoom Lenses 12 – 35 mm f2.8, 35 -100 mm f2.8 & Tamron Zoom Lenses 17 – 50 mm.
- Canon 7D with Canon & Nikon Primes: 28, 50. 85, 105 mm.
- Sony HDV camcorders: HVR-Z1U, HVR-Z7U, HVR-A1U.
- Go Pro Hero 4.
Cameras (Film – 16mm)
- Arri SR2 Super 16mm Cameras with Ilumina Prime Lenses T1.3 (8, 9.5, 12, 16, 25, 50 mm) and Zoom Lenses Cooke 10 – 52 mm, Zeiss 10 – 100 mm.
- Bolex Cameras 16mm & Super 16mm with Switar Prime Lenses (10, 16, 25, 26, 50, 75, 100 mm) and Vario Switar Zoom Lenses 18 – 86 mm.
- Sound Devices 744T Recorder.
- Tascam Audio Recorders HD-P2, DR-100.
- Zoom H4N Recorder.
- Sound Devices Mixer.
- Shotgun Mics: Sennheiser 416 & 415, AT 835B, Rode NTG 1.
- Radio Mics: Sennheiser EW-100, Micron Explorer, Sony UWP.
- Hand Held Mics: VX 50, RE 11, 635 A, Shure VP64AL,
- Studio Mics: Neuman U89i, Sony C-535P
- Rycote, Softies, Boom poles, Table and Floor Mic Stands, Sound Blankets.
O’connor 2065 , O’connor 1030, Manfrotto 116MK, Sachtler Video 17, Manfrotto 501, Manfrotto M200, Baby Legs, Hi Hats, & Monopods.
Lighting & Grip Gear
- Jab Hurricane 2K HMI
- Lumahawk 500 W LED Panel
- Feloni LED Panel
- Lupo HMI
- Arri Fresnel 1 K
- Arri Fresnel 300 W, 150 W
- Arri Softlight 1000 W
- Kino Diva 400
- Kino 140
- Ianiro Light 600 W
- Sony Videolight.
- Grip Stands, Auto Poles, Avenger Stands
- Flags 2×2, 3×3, 4×4.
- Apple boxes, Sand Bags,
- Doorway Dolly with tracks
- Cartolinis, Maffer clamps, Skyhooks
- Magic Arms, Dimmers, Safety Chains
- EZ Jib
- Matte Boxes
- Panasonic LCD Field Monitors
- Lens Filters
- Walkie Talkies
- Light meters
- AC Cables
- SONY HDCAM
- PANASONIC DVC PRO HD
- SONY HDV
- 30 Final Cut Studio professional video editing suites.
- 12 Avid Media Composer professional editing suites.
- 35 Pro Tools audio editing suites.
- 16mm film editing suite with steenbeck and optical printer.
- 16mm film editing lab with 10 digital audio editing systems
- Pro Tools HD professional audio recording studio with foley pits and a voice recording booth.
- Pro Tools HD professional audio mixing suite
- Professional color grading/correction suite.
- HDCAM mastering suite.
Sound and Moving Image Library (SMIL)
A recent program review described York’sSound & Moving Image Library (SMIL), housed in the Scott Library, as one of the best of its kind in North America. Its extensive collections provide an excellent classroom resource and are also available to students for individual use.