Facilities & Equipment
Housed in Canada’s only dedicated teaching complex for film and theatre, York University’s Department of Cinema & Media Arts presides over state-of-the-art facilities, equipment and technology. Whether watching films with high definition Christie projection or shooting their own productions in digital cinema or Super 16mm, our students achieve professional results, even while learning that what ultimately counts is content. With five full-time technical staff, our studios are continuously upgraded to meet the constantly changing professional standards of our field.
Screening Rooms and Classrooms
We have four small (fewer than 25 seats) screening/classrooms in the Centre for Film & Theatre, outfitted with HD projection and superb sound.
Three larger screening/classrooms range from 80 to 500 seats, and are equipped with state-of-the-art Christie HD projection.
Production studio/classroom facilities include a traditional 2,000 sq. ft. sound stage and two 1,000 sq. ft. classrooms with full lighting grids.
The Department of Cinema & Media Arts has a full range of film, digital cinema and HD production equipment to support undergraduate and graduate student productions.
- Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II cinema cameras
- Sony PXW-FS7 Super 35 cameras
- Red One MX cinema camera
- Red Pro Prime lenses T1.8 (25, 35, 50, 85, 100 mm), Zeiss Compact Primes T 2.1 (18, 28, 50, 85, 100 mm) and Red Zoom T 3 (18 – 50 mm)
- Panasonic AG-HVX200, AG-HPX170
- Panasonic AF100 with Olympus zoom lenses 12 – 35 mm f2.8, 35 -100 mm f2.8 & Tamron zoom lenses 17 – 50 mm
- Canon 7D with Canon & Nikon Primes: 28, 50. 85, 105 mm
- BlackMagic Pocket cinema cameras
- Go Pro Hero 4
Cameras (Film – 16mm)
- Arri SR2 Super 16mm Cameras with Ilumina Prime Lenses T1.3 (8, 9.5, 12, 16, 25, 50 mm) and Zoom Lenses Cooke 10 – 52 mm, Zeiss 10 – 100 mm.
- Bolex Cameras 16mm & Super 16mm with Switar Prime Lenses (10, 16, 25, 26, 50, 75, 100 mm) and Vario Switar Zoom Lenses 18 – 86 mm.
- Sound Devices 744T recorder
- Tascam audio recorders HD-P2, DR-100
- Zoom H4N recorder
- Sound Devices mixer
- Shotgun mics: Sennheiser 416 & 415, AT 835B, Rode NTG 1
- Radio mics: Sennheiser EW-100, Micron Explorer, Sony UWP
- Hand-held mics: VX 50, RE 11, 635 A, Shure VP64AL
- Studio mics: Neuman U89i, Sony C-535P
- Rycote, Softies, boom poles, table and floor mic stands, sound blankets
O’connor 2065 , O’connor 1030, Manfrotto 116MK, Sachtler Video 17, Manfrotto 501, Manfrotto M200, Baby Legs, Hi Hats, Monopods
Lighting & Grip Gear
- Jab Hurricane 2K HMI
- Lumahawk 500 W LED panel
- Feloni LED panel
- Lupo HMI
- Arri Fresnel 1 K
- Arri Fresnel 300 W, 150 W
- Arri Softlight 1000 W
- Kino Diva 400
- Kino 140
- Ianiro light 600 W
- Sony videolight
- Grip stands, auto poles, Avenger stands
- Flags 2×2, 3×3, 4×4
- Apple boxes, sand bags
- Doorway dolly with tracks
- Cartolinis, Maffer clamps, skyhooks
- Magic Arms, dimmers, safety chains
- EZ Jib
- Matte boxes
- Panasonic LCD field monitors
- Lens filters
- Light meters
- AC cables
- Sony HDCAM
- Panasonic DVC PRO HD
- Sony HDV
- 35 professional digital editing suites
- 35 Pro Tools audio editing suites
- 16mm film editing suite with steenbeck and optical printer
- Digital editing lab with 18 digital editing systems
- Pro Tools HD professional audio recording studio with foley pits and voice recording booth
- Pro Tools HD professional audio mixing suite
- 2 Professional Davinci Resolve colour grading/correction suites
- HDCAM mastering suite
Sound and Moving Image Library (SMIL)
A recent program review described York University’s Sound & Moving Image Library (SMIL), housed in the Scott Library, as one of the best of its kind in North America. SMIL’s extensive collections provide an excellent classroom resource and are also available to students for individual use.