BA in Cinema and Media Studies
The BA in Cinema and Media Studies prepares students to participate in a world where moving images play an increasing role in the production, distribution and reception of knowledge. Students learn to understand film, television and other moving images in relation to history, criticism, technology and aesthetics. They encounter the diversity of world cinema and media and learn the vital skills that make them engaged global citizens and creative and critical thinkers.
The BA in Cinema & Media Studies is an academically challenging program suitable for students interested in the study of film from historical, critical, and theoretical perspectives. It is not focused on the hands-on production of films and screenplays.
BA in Cinema & Media Studies
- Students must complete at least 42 credits in the Department of Cinema and Media Arts, including:
- FA/FILM 1001 3.00
- FA/FILM 1120 3.00
- FA/FILM 1400 9.00
- FA/FILM 2200 3.00
- FA/FILM 2230 3.00
- FA/FILM 3200 3.00
- FA/FILM 3230 3.00
- FA/FILM 3401 3.00
- 12 additional credits in the Department of Cinema and Media Arts including at least 9 credits at the 3000 or 4000 level.
- 12 AMPD elective credits chosen from the other departments of the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design (AMPD): Dance, Design, Digital Media, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts.
- Six credits from the FA/1900 3.00 series of courses, outside the major, are required of all AMPD degrees. These courses may be used to satisfy either the humanities general education requirement or a AMPD requirement (i.e. an In/Out requirement or a AMPD elective), but not both.
- 18 general education credits: 6 from each of the Humanities, Social Science and Natural Science areas (or approved substitutes)
- 24 free elective credits.
See the course listing page for courses available in other AMPD departments.
Students must complete at least 30 credits in Department of Cinema and Media Arts, including:
- FA/FILM 1400 9.0
- FA/FILM 2200 3.0
- FA/FILM 2230 3.0
- FA/FILM 3401 3.0
- 12 further credits in Cinema and Media Studies
See the <a ” href=”http://vanilla.finearts.yorku.ca/fineartscourses/course_manager.php”>course listing page for courses available in other AMPD departments.